Windstorm and Hurricane Damage – Commercial Insurance Claims
Since 1946, Adjusters International has handled every major hurricane to hit the U.S., including hurricanes Katrina, Iniki, Andrew, Ike, Wilma and Hugo and Superstorm Sandy, in addition to numerous typhoons, tornadoes and microbursts.
…Working with you and your staff made me realize that I would not have been as successful dealing with the insurance company alone. The process of settling an insurance claim was far more complex than I ever imagined. You and your staff provided the expertise needed to settle my claim equitably.
Peter Yukimura, President
KOA Trading Company / Yukimura’s Inc.
Your building, business or manufacturing facility was just damaged or destroyed in a hurricane, typhoon, microburst, tornado or windstorm and you are wondering what to do next. You call your insurance company and wait for an adjuster to come out hoping they will have your best interests at heart. After all, they accepted your premium for years in a very nice way. Now you expect that they will “do the right thing.”
You will soon discover that you’ve moved from the asset side of your insurance company’s ledger (you paying your premiums on time) to the liability side of their ledger (they need to pay you for your damages). Often, the money they owe you now will far exceed any premium payment you paid or would pay in the future.
Our experts know how to identify, document, and prove your commercial wind damage claim to the insurance company, so that you receive everything to which you are entitled under the terms of your policy.
Knowing everything you possibly can about the “fine print” of your insurance policy before you have any substantive dialogue with your insurer is an absolute necessity. Know what you are covered for and how to claim it. What you say to your insurance company’s adjuster and how you say it can make a dramatic difference in how much you get paid. The more you know, the better the results.
Factors to Consider
When filing a windstorm insurance claim, there are many factors that need to be taken into consideration. To help you navigate the process, we have put together several talking points for you to review. Having a full understanding of each of the below bullet points is crucial to documenting, filing, and successfully settling your commercial claim. If any of these questions give you pause, please feel free to reach out to us for a no-cost discussion about your claim.
- What is your broker or agent’s role?
- Will he/she be adjusting the claim?
- How many claims has he/she handled?
- Will his/her role be active or passive?
- When faced with supporting your position or the insurance company’s, where will he/she stand?
- Forensic Deconstruction may be required in order to determine the possible structural damages caused by pressure vs. suction and differential pressure. (Wind flow on two opposite sides of any building components such as roofs, walls, structural beams etc., could deform or dislodge materials when differential pressure, the more severe of which tends to be outward forcing, exceeds the resistance capacities of the components and/or their connections to other parts of a building)
Additional Items to Consider Close
Adjusters International Can Help
Adjusters International’s team of public adjusters are experts in maximizing your windstorm insurance claim. We will walk you through each step in the commercial claims process and take care of the smallest details that go into filing the claim, from a thorough evaluation of your loss, to carefully researching, detailing and substantiating every aspect of your claim.
Adjusters International works exclusively for you. As such, you are assured that the work we perform on your behalf is never influenced by the insurance company’s interests. We have a long list of satisfied clients who put their trust in our expertise and who can attest to the fact that we stick by our core principles, the first of which is to always look out for our clients’ best interests. We are proud to put you in touch with our references. Chances are you will recognize many of them. Read what they wrote about us. After all, who really knows better than someone who has been through it before?
Windstorm Client References
In addition to almost 5,000 references on our list, some well-known names for whom we handled complex windstorm claims are:
- Bank One Tower of Ft. Worth
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Best Western Hotels, Multiple Locations
- Boomtown Casino
- Buzz’s Steak & Lobster
- Casino Magic
- Clark Seafood Co.
- Clothestime, Inc.
- Coconut Marketplace
- Continental Airlines
- Days Inn, Multiple Locations
- Divi Resorts
- Dutch Inn Hotel & Casino
- The Fun Factory
- Genghis Khan Furniture / Charles Corn Furniture
- Gerber Childrenswear
- Greenwich Air Services
- Gulfstream Tomato Packers
- Hampton Inn, Multiple Locations
- Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute
- The Kalakaua Center
- LSG Sky Chefs / LSG Lufthansa Services
- Makai Club Cottages & Owners
- Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce
- City of New Orleans
- Port Authority of New Orleans
- State of New York
- Otis Spunkmeyer
- Pinnacle Entertainment
- Quality Fruit Packers of Indian River
- Sherwood Resort Guam
- Silver Vase
- SMH South Miami Hospital
- Suiza Dairy
- United Indian River Packers
For additional information, listen to Property Insurance Roundtable’s “Hurricanes and Windstorm Coverage” episode: